History of Gazipur District
During the rule of emperor Ashok, around 250 B.C., the region was a prosperous locality. Before emperor Ashok, Dobak and Dhol sea’s costal areas were ruled by Pal, Das, Chandal and Chedi’s clan, and afterwards by the Gazi’s.
Gazipur is famous for historical relics such as ‘Sakersor stagnation’ (Kaliakair) constructed by emperor Ashok, ‘Dol Samudra’, sign of Dakura temple (Kaliakair), ‘Pukur Ghat’ (a slope or a flight of steps leading down to the water level of a pond ) at Indrakpur made by Pal regime, interred ruins of Rajbari, interred columns or post at SingarDighi, garden city of shishu Pal at Shailat, Tongi Bridge constructed during Muslim regime (Mir Jumla), Tok Mosque(Kapasia), sanctuary of Ishakha at Buktarpur(Kaligonj),Razbari, Sasahan Ghat, 17th century’s Panjora Antony’s church(Kaligonj) etc.
Sufi Karforma’s descendant Bhawal Gazi (during the rule of Sher Shaha) renamed the area Bhawal after his own name. Shaha Karforma, Islam’s great preacher, reached ancient Bhawal’s eastern region Kaligonj by boat to spread Islam. During this period Bhawal was ruled by Chedi and Bhawal Gazi was his ideal successor. Bhawal Gazi imposed his kingship in all the petty territories one after another. During this time Bhawal was a raised groud surrounded by dense forests situated directly north of the capital.
In the year 1580 TodarMal came to Bihar and Bangladesh to collect revenue and he divided East Bengal in 24 different government and 700 quarter (part of a town) or district which is renowned in history as ‘Oasil-Jumal-Jum’.
In 1738 Bal-Ram-Roy removed all Muslim rulers from the Gazi’s clan and established lordship over the entire administrative regions of Bhawal. After his death his son Krishno-Roy became lord and according to his intent the capital was transferred to PiraBari from Chandona. In 1743, son of Sri-Krishna lord Jodev-Roy renamed PiraBari to Joydevpur after his own name. Presently Joydevpur is positioned in Gazipur district’s administrative region. The name of the police station for Gazipur Sadar is Joydevpur.
Our great liberation war commenced first from this Gazipur District. On 19th March, 1971, Hurmat, Niamat, Kanu and Monu Miah achieved martyrdom during the first armed resistence of the liberation war and on 14th December 1971, the ultimate and largest face-to-face battle took place at Chaidana in Gazipur district.
On 18th December, 1978, during the presidency of martyr president Ziaur Rahman (Bir Uttom), Gazipur was elevated to subdivision status and renamed Gazipur in recognition of the Gazi rulers. On 1st March, 1984 Gazipur was granted full district status.